Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Neal Stephenson, the EFF and Exploit Sales

From: Loose Tweets <loosetweets () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:54:39 -0400

"Unfortunately, if these exploits are being bought by governments for
offensive purposes, then there is pressure to selectively harden
sensitive targets while keeping the attack secret from everyone else,
leaving technology—and its users—vulnerable to attack."

So, taking these two together, what the EFF seems to advocate is that
vulnerabilities and such purchased with the intent to be used for
offensive operations should also be used in some way for defensive
operations. Subject to OPSEC concerns, I think this is more or less
correct: if we know of a bug, we know it has a limited shelf life
(especially once it's used). It makes sense to then transition to
fixing the same problem in our systems.

I get it now! If we just patch *all* the bugs, then there will be no
bugs left for anyone else to exploit. Guys, this is brilliant. How did
we get scooped by a few lawyers at the EFF when we've been working on
this for years?

-LT