Dailydave mailing list archives

Thoughts Re: Monday Morning Marketing from SANS

From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:28:05 -0500 (CDT)

<ranting thoughts>

I was a principal in a security / forensics firm starting in roughly 2004,
and from day 1, we carried (at exhorbitant costs I might add), a
$10,000,000.00 E&O policy, precisely on the premise that we *would*,
*someday*, get something wrong (and need to make restitution for that
error).  The drafting of the policy was apparently a first, as we went
through a half dozen large brokers to get *anyone* to sign off on such a
policy.

While the industry is 99% snake oil, and I suspect will always remain
snake oil (due to our decision decades ago to accept that buggy software
"met the condisitions of the contracted work"), I don't see the
"professional associations that have popped up as ding more than making
the problem worse.

SANS has been a particular thorn in my side (along with ISC2), as the most
incompetent and useless excuses for "experts" I jahve ever met all seem to
have a hundred ridiculous initials after their name.  The CISSP (which
appears to be a permanent fixture after the name of everyone who gets one)
is a joke, as the basic qualifications are not just ignored for
qualification, but for practice (ever try and report a "5 year veteran"
who just got his initials but is still learning to ask a girl out for a
first date? "The CISSP is self-policing".  So much for that!).  Or how
about all of the grandfathered CISM/CGEIT/CISA, pick an initial, who cant
find a strcopy from a strcpy?

And then there are all of the "professional witnesses" popping up who can
answer basic questions about things their resume (oops, sorry, "CV") says
they are experts in (how many embedded systems experts are really out
there in the 20-35 year age group?  I don't know, but I've seen a LOT more
claimed [all accepted as experts by courts who know even less] than really
exist.

If we are going to present ourselves as professionals, then we shouod damn
well behave like professionals, hold each other accountable as
professionals, and prepare to be licensed as professionals.

</Ranting thoughts>

//Alif

--
I hate Missouri.  Land of the free, home of the perjuriously deranged.