Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Exploitation Paper Peer Review

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:16:57 -0800

I would love to see a resource for real-world problems that the academic
community could consider... or even a resource for other up-and-coming
researchers to examine at for ideas.  Such a site might not be relevant
enough for PhD thesis work (which thrives on originality as I understand
it?)

Well, if it is created by the industry, the academics will ignore it.
And if created by academics, well, see discussion in this thread.

The chasm still exists...and keeps puzzling me. It is as if physics
and engineering would have completely disconnected realities -
inconceivable in physics, biology, etc, but a normal reality for years
(is it decades already?) in infosec.

BTW, I just read another academic paper inventing "signature-based
IDS" via "packet grep" (no shit! this IS new!)....

--
Dr. Anton Chuvakin
Site: http://www.chuvakin.org