Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Exploitation Paper Peer Review

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:15:14 -0500

Chris Eagle wrote:
On 12/11/2010 1:22 PM, Fergie wrote:

Something I used to tell my troops when I was in the Army ...  Don't sit
back in your area and bitch about something.  Anyone can bitch.  If you
bring a problem to light, bring a potential solution as well...

I don't mean that as harsh as it sounds when I read it back.  I just mean to
say that all of you smart folks who identify these problems can surely posit
a solution to them....

So, there's this little problem I have where given a program to analyze,
all I want to know is whether it ever exits.  Now having brought the
problem to light, I am afraid I have no solution, perhaps you can help?

Sometimes the "solution" is to point out that there is no solution, or
that any potential solution is orders of magnitude more difficult than
one might expect.

Though, as a colleague pointed out to me yesterday, there are a lot of
times where a general solution may be hard (or incomputable), while
there are solvable special cases that are quite useful.

Along those lines, I thought the Automatic Exploitation Paper/tool
wasn't quite as weak or useless as people seem to be claiming here.
After all, it did find exploitable holes in a number of commonly used
packages - not a particularly good or comforting sign.  At the very
least, it strikes me as a useful tool for running against new code as a
basic diagnostic, during debugging.

One thing, about the paper, that gave me a lot of pause was that it kind
of calls into question a commonly held presumption about open source
code - that having the code available makes it easier for people to spot
exploits, and close them quickly.  The paper suggests that having the
source code available ALSO makes it easier to find exploitable holes
through automated tools - which at leads one to think about whether
there's a tradeoff to be considered involving difficulties of finding
exploitable holes when source code is vs. is not available.  At the very
least, it suggests that there are a whole slew of automatic tests that
could/should be run as part of the release process for open source code;
and perhaps built into regression testing.  (Along the later line: is it
just me, or have others noted that fewer and fewer pieces of code
include regression tests as part of "make test"?).

Miles Fidelman