Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: SIGINT and Telecommunications Intercept Capability of Cambodia

From: "Lance M. Havok" <lmh () info-pull com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:32:17 +0200

The common sense applies here: normally someone who really fears being
wiretapped or put under some serious surveillance does not go under a
Hotmail account asking a random list about the infrastructure of his
home country. Generally speaking, someone who does this is unlikely
the person for which the law enforcement gives a ***** about.

In any case, the point is not if they have it (I mean, Cambodia still
uses hi-tech Elephant powered transportation). I would be worried of
smoke signal interception (you know, goggle and optical technology).

Now, if Cambodia enjoys the privilege of having a decent GSM network,
considering that interception equipment is fairly cheap (for the
State, obviously), there's a certain possibility they indeed have the
infrastructure required to tap people. One solution is requesting the
State budget documents (if they are made public there, maybe the local
version of Kim Jong-il sleeps with them under his bed, who knows), and
some barebones, simplified description should be present there. Divide
the figure by some known average price of specific supplies.... you
get the idea.

The question for poor or still-developing (aka poor) countries is:
they may have the infrastructure, but will they actually invest its
use on you? The more limited the resources, the greater discrimination
process to ensure they are used productively.

Spy books should be banned from geeks. Taps should worry you only if
you deal dope. Note that deal here means more than just passing some
weed to a random hippie in a park. Say, some obese LEGO bricks and
stuff.

For now, the only taps worrying me are ass taps. He he he.