Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Announcing metasm

From: "Dave Aitel" <dave.aitel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:07:50 -0400

Is this debugger something you'd want integrated with Immunity Debugger?
When you say "debugger that runs over firewire" do you mean kinda like
WinDBG does when you're trying to do kernel debugging? I'm writing a kernel
exploit all day today, but no chance of setting up WinDBG to do it - it's
almost easier just to use memory dumps and !analyze -v. The WinDBG UI is
almost as bad as SPIKE Proxy's.  One thing MOSDEF is not good at is
enumerating all the different ways to add two numbers together. We only put
one kind of encoding into the assembler and changing it now would be quite
difficult. But we're optimized for shellcode size, and speed, while
remaining pure-Python. Which is annoying because those are all polar
opposites.

What dialect of assembler is it that metasm implements? Is that NASM-like?

-dave