Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:40:02 -0400

On Oct 27, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Dave Aitel wrote:

Making IDS part of a defense in depth strategy is giving it some
credit for actually providing defense, which it doesn't do. The people
who win the IDS game are the people who spend the least money on it.
This is why security outsourcing makes money - it's just as worthless
as maintaining the IDS yourself, but it costs less. Likewise, Snort is
a great IDS solution because it does nothing but it does it cheaper.

Part of any defense is the ability to detect when things fail.  I
think that
we want to throw out technology because it doesn't do everything.  I see
every day systems being attacked by simplistic old attacks that IDS
systems
can warn you about.  Is it the best solution, no.  I actually don't
think it is a
solution all by itself.

I think that saying something is great because it does nothing cheaper
is a ridiculous line intended to irritate instead of addressing the
issue.

The technology curve is towards complex, encrypted, asynchronous
protocols. The further into time you look, the worse the chances are
that sniffing traffic is an answer to anything.

So what is your answer.  I learned a long time ago that saying something
didn't work with out giving a better solution was a game played by
people
who wanted to appear smarter then they are.  And I know that doesn't
fit you
so what is the solution?

The market is slowly realizing this technology's time has past, but in
the meantime lots of people are making giant bus-loads of cash. Good
for them. But IDS technology isn't relevant to a security discussion
in this day and age and it's not going to be anytime soon.

Again, I think this is an extremist view that doesn't have a place in
reality.<grin>
People are going to make boatloads of cash, I wish I was included,
and most
times a company deploying IDS' aren't going to do it right and that
needs to
change.  but this doesn't invalidate the technology.

imho,
- -dave

Just my opinion.  But you might want to check out http://
taosecurity.blogspot.com/2006/10/response-to-daily-dave-thread.html
which is a much better write up then I could ever do.

Kevin