Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: "Ross Brown" <rbrown () eeye com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:28:23 -0800

There is a pareto curve for everything, including attacks.  The IPS/IDS
network layer products are going to be an effective filter against the
mass attacks that are known (think broad and common), not the uncommon
and targeted. In other words, it's a fairly effect noise filter, but not
an effective solution against someone who is targeting your network with
both intellect and determination. One vulnerability can lead to N
exploit variants both N(known) and N(unknown).  The NIPS products are
great for the N(known), but the monetary value in being a bad guy is in
the creation and relative scarcity of N(unknown) variants for known
vulnerabilities, where the NIPS products are typically creating the
illusion of security.

In other words, if your smart and want in, typical network IPS isn't
gonna slow you down too much.

RB

____________________________________
Ross Brown
Chief Executive Officer
eEye Digital Security
949.900.4121 (o)
949.463.7146 (m)
rbrown () eeye com

Professional Profile and Blog
FREE Trial Downloads: Visit www.eeye.com to download trial versions of
our award-winning proactive security software, including: Retina(r)
Network Security Scanner, SecureIIS(tm) Web Server Protection, and
Iris(r) Network Traffic Analyzer. Review upcoming advisories at
www.eeye.com/html/Research/Upcoming/index.html .

Important Notice: This email is confidential, may be legally privileged,
and is for the intended recipient only.  Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and
may be a criminal offense.  Please delete if obtained in error and email
confirmation to the sender.