Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Firefox bugs

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:05:40 -0400

Didn't you post on your weblog some stuff about Chrome: being buggy?
It's completely believable to have a chrome: context issue in Firefox.
I recall you said something about iterators, but I don't have a
Mozilla developer account so I can't look at the diff.

Are the slides/full PoC available publicly?
- -dave

Thor Larholm wrote:
Their PoC, both the one in their slides and the full PoC, is
nothing more than an out-of-memory crash, of which Firefox already
has plenty. They were still struggling to write a working exploit
days after the presentation, even though they claimed to have just
that during the presentation.

Long story short, the bug is just a bug - not a vulnerability.

Regards Thor Larholm

Dave Aitel wrote:

For those of you under a rock, there's a new firefox bug:
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/

I read somewhere that the PoC was posted to the web, but I can't
find it anywhere.

For those of you who watched the HP testemony on cspan.org, you may
 have noticed that ReadNotify was used in a prior DD posting. DD
goes out to maybe 2500 people last time I checked...and I got under
a hundred readnotify responses. This corresponds with my last use
of web bugs against someone trying to blackmail one of my clients.
It just didn't work. This was the one big tool in the FBI/NYPD's
toolbox, and it's been broken during the fight against spammers. We
had to do a statistical analysis of all the web page accesses to
get close.

Anyways, our congresscritters think that SPYWARE==WEB BUG. And it's
 not true. Someone needs to call them and explain it slowly.

-dave