Dailydave mailing list archives

So when will the end of pen-tests begin?

From: "Isaac Dawson" <isaac.dawson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:48:01 +0900

After reading Havlar's post on the 'end is near' of MSOffice bugs. It made
me start thinking about when
the end of pen-tests will begin. I don't know about the rest of you but I've
seen huge differences in the types
of issues that are being found on thin/thick application pen tests.  Before
it was very common to pretty much
completely take control of servers. Although this does still happen, not
nearly as much as before. Obviously
this really depends on how mature the customers are and how many previous
tests they've had.

So when will these tests end? 5-10 years? 20? I know we will 'always' need
security validation, but will customers
be willing to spend the (sometimes insanely overpriced) amount for these
types of tests?
Is anyone else thinking about what they will do next? :)
-Isaac