Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Does Fuzzing really work?

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:30:10 -0700

On Thursday 28 September 06 04:48, Martin Vuagnoux wrote:
ergosum wrote:
On Wednesday 27 September 2006 17:45, Ian Melven wrote:
There's a lot of links to fuzzing papers, tools, and articles here.

http://www.threatmind.net/secwiki/FuzzingTools

Nice resource.

There is another tool and another paper at
http://autodafe.sourceforge.net (auto-ads :-)) The version 0.2 is
imminent with automatic detection of format string and heap overflow
under Linux. We are working on Windows version of the tracer based on
PaiMei...

A contributor to bugreport told me about autodafe and it sounds like a very
pragmatic approach to the problem. Most academics get so hung up on what they
perceive to be a 100% solution that they never produce anything useful to the
world at large. I'm so glad autodafe is out there and re-using existing file
formats from other open source projects. I always wished that Hailstorm's
core engine (a fuzzing product I was QA Manager on, and then a developer on)
would have been open sourced -- Caezar's architecture was very clean and easy
to unit test (once I got around to it).

I'll bet they don't hold back bugfixes to prevent users from finding exploits,
either ;>

PS: My last post to the list didn't come through. I certainly hope it wasn't
censored or purposefully delayed in some way.