Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: This guy cracks me up. Lyndon Sutherland

From: "Pete Markowsky" <peterm () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:49:40 -0700

Since I've not seen it mentioned in the thread yet, it looks like
fingerprinting 802.11 drivers was pretty popular this year it was even at
usenix.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jfrankli/usenixsec06/usenixsec06driverfingerprinting.ps

-Pete

On 9/4/06, surreal () delusory org <surreal () delusory org> wrote:

> From: "johnny cache" <johnycsh () gmail com>
> Good questions though. Its nice to talk about technical things and not
> politics or slander for a bit.

It's nice, imo, to finally get something resembling information on this
topic. Kinda late, well, "pretty fucking late", but better than the
jack shit I had up 'til now.

> So, anyone else out there think im an idiot doing a dis-service to the
entire
> computer security industry?

Since you asked... "Idiot" is a _little_ harsh. You and DM have joined
Eric Brandwine, Todd MacDermid, and to be fair, Dino Dai Zovi* on my
very short list of "people who fucked me out of precious Black Hat
Briefings time by misrepresenting their talk", and I _really_ didn't
appreciate that.

What useful info did you present? I can summarize it in a small number
of bytes without forking out thousands of dollars and flying to Vegas:
"wifi drivers are porrly written. I can exploit them - trust me. Here's
a home video of David supposedly doing it." Had I known, I'd have
watched Kevin Mandia's incident response talk.

I save some blame for Jeff Moss for approving your non-presentation.
After the Fnord kmod fiasco he promised that there would never again be
talks where the code or information was unavailable. Oops.

Regards, and assuming you're actually not completely bogus, good luck.
But don't do that again, please.

Surreal

* Dino Dai Zovi gets partial credit for stating during the intro that he
wouldn't release any code. I left then. Thanks, Dino.

** But! But! Joanna Rutkowska didn't release code!! Yeah, but she did
release plenty of real information, put a lot of thought and work into
her presentation, and speaks and enunciates better than most of the
native English-speaking presenters. She rocked.