Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: CISSP quote of the week

From: Pusscat <pusscat () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:11:29 -0400

I think by "real" he meant the majority of attacks which take place against
a specific target for a specific reason, as opposed to a "hit it cause it's
there and vulnerable" sort of aimless attack.

It's almost the distinction between random maliciousness, and a directed
strike aimed at achieving a specific goal. Very rarely do we see an attack
carried out to actually compromise a system for a specific reason making use
of a "known" exploit. The assumption you make when using a well-known
exploit is that the machine is not important enough to be watched in any
meaningful way, which is why it's still vulnerable in the first place.