Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Slashback!

From: Alexander Bochmann <ab () lists gxis de>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:57:20 +0100

...on Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:56:14AM -0600, Technocrat wrote:

Dave Aitel wrote:
How does this: http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/01/15/0815207.shtml
Differ from this:
http://www.theta44.org/karma/index.html
Good point, I have heard of this attack before now..it isn't very "new"
just not talked about in a large public forum before now.

Perhaps I'm missing something critical here, but this
seems exactly like the thing that hotspotter[1] is
targeting, and that was released in April 2004.

From the readme: "A Windows XP client will probe for all
the preferred network names listed in the wireless client
configuration during startup, powersave-wakeup and when
the driver reports signal loss for the current network name.
[..] Due to this configuration, it is possible to force a client
to disclose the list of configured profiles, and then establish
a connection to a rogue network using one of the preferred
network names."

Alex.

[1] http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Hotspotter_main