Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Slashback!

From: "Taylor, Gord" <gord.taylor () rbc com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:33:53 -0500

However, what K2 and I found much more dangerous was step 2:
"If there are no successful connections, Wireless Auto Configuration
attempts to connect to the preferred networks that
do not appear in the list of available networks, in the preferred
networks preference order. This is done so that a
Windows wireless client can connect to a hidden wireless network, one
that is either not broadcasting its SSID or
broadcasting an SSID of NULL"

I ran into exactly this same scenario - a good personal firewall helps
since the laptop must be joined to a "friendly" network to have a
"friendly" policy applied. But this causes the occasional denial of
service if you're working wired and your wireless adapter joins the
"unfriendly" network since the policy switches from "friendly" to
"unfriendly" mode midway through a session. Not a big deal for me, but
I'm sure it stumps users all the time.