Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Hackers more secure?

From: "Kyle Quest" <Kyle.Quest () networkengines com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:12:51 -0400

I've known a lot of very sloppy hackers in my life... that said, do you
guys think that the majority of hackers have much more 'secure
networks'?  I propose that hacking and 'defence in depth', or ensuring a
networks compliance are very, _very_ different animals.

Being good at attacking doesn't always translate into being good at defense.
This is the case for most activities (sport, war, crime, security).
With security it's even more complicated, because, if you are an attacker
who needs to get into a system, all you need is just one flaw; however,
if you are a defender, you need to deal with attacks coming from different
directions, which requires a different skill set. In other words... breaking
stuff is easy, it's protecting it from being broken that's hard.

Kyle