Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sourcefire Acquired by Check Point Software

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:13:13 -0500

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 22:13 -0400, Kyle Quest wrote:

And the bullshit about Snort being closed is just that... bullshit.

I never made that statement and my gut feeling is that the Snort
engine
will be open source for a long time... maybe even forever.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that *you* said it. Someone else replied
to this threat with that notion and I just didn't feel like sending
another email.

It's amazing how Nessus and SourceFire [to a certain degree] (I'm
talking
about the Snort rules here) are complaining
about how unfair it is that somebody just takes their work and does
whatever they want with it... including repackaging and selling it.
Well, this is what GPL is all about!

uhm... no. These guys have other complaints. It's not the fact that
people are using GPL'ed code to make money. Feel free to ask these guys
directly if you really want to know why they did things the way they
did.

-Frank