Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Tech reporting...

From: "Victor Chapela" <victor () sm4rt com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:43:04 -0500

I did attend Lynn's talk and I do not remember him saying anything about
Cisco getting sued, quite the opposite.

Lynn did imply that there were many other non-patched problems and that he
decided to talk about this when he learnt that the source code for IOS had
been stolen. He said that what took him 6 months of research would take far
less for anyone with access to the source code. At a certain point he
emphasised by repeating three times "install the latest patch and you MAY be
ok". I understand the problem is a lot larger then just disabling IPv6.

Another thing he did say though, and that I have seen no comments on, is
that by mistake he overwrote the boot sector of his roommate's Cisco Router
rendering it useless until the EPROM was replaced. I do not know if this was
already a known attack vector but it most definitely gives a whole new
dimension to the impact of an orchestrated DoS attack.

-Victor