Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Hydrogen hundred dollar challenge

From: "Neil" <ndesai01 () tampabay rr com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:47:39 -0400

I don't think that is possible to find Hydrogen with snort.

1. Since the packets that we need to trigger off of are less than or equal
to 4 bytes snort does not look at them. See you email thread with Marty for
more info:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/ids/2005-q1/0074.html. Even though
this is not MSRPC fragmentation I think that the guidelines still apply.

2. Since Hydrogen does not use a static port we can't add it to the stream4
preprocessor without a severe impact to performance in a production
environment. Currently only the most use ports ("default" will turn
on reassembly for ports 21, 23, 25, 53, 80, 143, 110, 111 and 513) are
handled by stream4. If you used a static port then you could add it to
stream4 and have your way with it.

Just for kicks why don't you use a random size in the initital packets and
have the valuable info somewhere in there. It would make just a bit harder
to detect.

Neil