Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The Hydrogen hundred dollar challenge

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:01:06 -0400

Brian wrote:

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:49:15PM -0400, Dave Aitel wrote:
 Anyways, I will give $100 dollars to the first person
who posts a snort or nfr  signature that can detect my private
(slightly modded) version of Hydrogen. (i.e. make it reasonably
generic, and let's not have it false-positive every time I browse
the web). The idea here is to show that everything doesn't have to
be spoon-fed to you Gerber-style.

Does my 30 second grep of your code get me a beer?

On a valid tcp session:

if (first packet from client 4 bytes in length, store that as A)
and if (next packet from client, A bytes in length)
and if (first packet form server, 4 bytes in length, store that as B)
and if (next packet from server, B bytes in length)

   Say "Hi dave!"

Brian
If you can cut that into a snort sig that I can test then I'd certainly pony up one 100 dollar beer :>. There might be a lot of protocols that do this sort of thing - like BO2K, H doesn't hvae a default port. Also, TCP isn't packet based...so I'd want to test to make sure Hydrogen really does send packets that big all at once. I usually assume a 512 MTU, since that's what I use when I'm hacking. :>

-0dave