Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: RE: funny comments from Hack IIS6 contest admin

From: Steve Lord <steve () buyukada co uk>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:37:05 +0100

Roger A. Grimes wrote:

I've heard of both of you.  Dave, I've used your software many times
before.  Sorry if I wasn't in awe enough for your egos.
Not being funny, but you're the one who started personally attacking Dave and Anthony. Also you should bear in mind that it's the DailyDave list, not the DailyRoger list. If you don't like it here then please feel free to start your own.

An invitation to hack a box located at www.hackiis6.com with web pages
full of "hack me" text certainly doesn't need a signed
authorization...it's explicit already.
Really? Are you sure? What, for everywhere? I know in the UK if I started breaking into boxes across the Internet because they said 'hack me' I'd get into trouble fairly quickly if I was caught. Does that mean that if someone defaces a web site and puts 'hack me' on the page then it's ok because it's explicit?

So as you both are making sport of me, tell me how my statement is
false?
First, there haven't been many 0-day exploits against W2K3 and IIS 6 (if
any), and not that many against Windows products at all since 2000 was
released.
According to http://secunia.com/product/20/ - Windows 2000 Server is affected by 90 Secunia advisories. 20% of reported issues remain unpatched, the worst of which appears to be a nasty bug in the Jet Dtabase engine, which could lead to remote system access.

Windows 2003 Server Web Edition (seeing as we're looking at IIS 6) is affected by 49 advisories according to Secunia (http://secunia.com/product/1176/). 6 of these vulnerabilities remain unpatched, although these are only listed as moderately critical.

Dave, how many hackers and exploit writers do you know that are
motivated to write exploits by large sums of money?
How many people does Dave employ that write exploits? How many people do companies like NGS Research employ purely to find vulnerabilities?

Even when companies do offer money for finding bugs, as some have done
over the last year, it doesn't result in a ton of exploits found and
released.  Money isn't a prime motivator in any hack.  Hell, the real
money is made in run old exploits (like spambots and adware crap).
Are you speaking from personal experience?

Steve