Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: bleeding nessus [was: Re: Funny note here on a worm]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 01:05:34 +0400

Hi Gadi,

Hi John, long time. How have you been?

Regarding Tenable squashing websites that host plugins, I'm not sure
that you can show that.  I didn't become a Tenable employee until late
2003, and I had around 100 plugins up on my website before that time
(2000 - 2003).  Even after becoming employed by Tenable, I was never
asked to remove plugins...in fact, before now it was never even
mentioned...
google for
inurl:(nessus|nasl|plugin) filetype:nasl -site:nessus.org

As far as Tenable controlling what is and isn't released, that's just
good Quality Control...it wasn't like every submitted plugin was
automatically thrown into CVS before Tenable came along. I'm a Tenable
employee and I've had checks rejected because they weren't up to snuff
wrt the QA group.  It's a *good* thing (for the community and the plugin
writer) to have a QA team test plugins for false positives, speed,
accuracy, destructiveness, etc.

Most of my points are true for after the license change. Regardless,
this is becoming too inflammatory (much because of me being annoyed and
wanting to correct the world, quite misguided) and it's time to go back
on-topic and talk tech.

Which plugin was that?

I'll reply privately later on when I get a minute, ping me if I forget?
1 AM.

        Gadi.