Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: ACM

From: Cedric Blancher <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:11:53 +0100

Le mardi 11 janvier 2005 à 12:14 +0100, plonky a écrit :
I was about to tell it.

Yeah, but to clarify the situation about Guillermito case, prosecution
has raised two things :

        1. copyright law violation for source code exposure
        2. software piracy

1 should be dismissed because french law grants an user to examine how a
program works if he's a valid licence owner. Furthermore, copyright law
grants faire quote right, allowing one to publish small excerpts for
explanation needs.

2 is the most problematic aspect, as this AV software licence does not
grant a user to transmit his licence to another person, and Guillermito
had performed his study with software licence that was given to him. By
the way, this clause seems all the more abusive.

So, we must wait for the final decision... But for now, it does not seem
it will end the right way (i.e. point 1 dismissed) :(

Now im an outlaw .

And so many of us are...

But in France, there is an addon to the LEN (Loi sur l'Economie
Numerique, Law about digital business, the closest translation in
english), which says that people working for scientifical or technical
research or computer security in official organisms or company which
are officially accredited for such things, can store, study test those
kind of software.

This addon _really_ sucks.

--
http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE