Dailydave mailing list archives

staring up at you from beneith a pool of still water

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 07:34:02 -0500

I think one of the secrets of science fiction is that Gibson's books after Neuromancer got a lot better. Somewhere there in between being hugely famous, he learned how to be hugely famous and also how to write. Usually once a writer gets hugely famous they do things like Neal Stephenson's "Quicksilver" (basically unreadable). But Gibson's later books are astoundingly good. To the point where every few chapters you think "I'm going to write a program that does that" and you completely mean it.

Last night I forwent my airplane Gibson book in exchange for staying up way too late writing a local for some little thing installed on my laptop that I really should have left alone. Now it's 7:30 and I have to go teach a class on Windows exploitation , which is pretty easy. The hard part is teaching people to stay up all night hacking into things they really should leave alone.

-dave