Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: New presentation is up: 0days: How hacking reallyworks

From: Anthony Zboralski <bcs2005 () bellua com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 05:09:47 +0700

I agree with you, Holden! But 0day is still useful (see below)

When we are approached by the IT department for a penetration test
or a risk assessment, the IT guys always want to limit the scope
of the project to a purely technical perspective and/or to a specific
part of their infrastructure; e.g. "we have this new firewall and online
banking system we want to test the security".

We simply refuse this kind of assignments. Like Hoden said, a real
hacker will not limit his scope and will just hit for the weakest nodes
of the  network of trust. When that happen they will go:
"Ah we got hacked!  this pen test was useless!".

I really prefer to deal with upper management to make sure we get
a larger scope and execute the exercise from both a business and
technical perspective.

As soon as a client request a pen test we start profiling the company
and analyse its network of trust.

We request to extend the scope to include our client's law firm,
its bankers, its service providers, and second & third parties
(e.g. web agencies, outsourcers...). If some of the parties involved
refuse to participate in the exercise, we still perform non-intrusive review
of their infrastructure.

During the profiling phase, we look at:

* Business functions/units (Treasury, Accounting, Operations, Development,
Customer Support, Branches...)
* Network of trust (ISPs, infrastructure provider [VSAT, fiber, microwave, etc...),
system integrators,   third party contractors, affiliations...)
  * Network Infrastructure (private and public)
  * Systems
* Applications (web, online banking, corporate banking, payment gateway, core
     banking, etc..)
  * Users

Our clients are usually quite impressed with the results of the non-intrusive activities. We analyse the trust dependencies, show them a nice hierarchical model and explain that if a specific trust element is compromised most of the elements below will be compromised as a side-effect. We also do a very simple business impact analysis.
It's a good marketing tool.

A lot of this information can be gathered from open sources and as I said above, we start gathering intelligence as soon as we are invited to respond to a RFP or approached by a company. We also keep an eye on our clients and prospects for any new event or project which may introduce new risks. Of course, they often freak out and wonder if they can really trust us; we explain that hackers don't need their trust or authorisation to attack them. Criminals don't abide by the law, we do. We also make it clear that we are not here to point fingers at anyone (IT, vendors, etc...) it's just a drill to build awareness and perform due diliegence. We are allies not enemies: our mission is to help our clients improve their security and protect their
business (although we are not a Mafia.)

Once the client give us the green light, we start the fun part.

War Dialling: most of the vendors have signed a service level agreement with our clients which force them to respond to incidents within 0 to 4 hours depending on the BCP/DRP requirements. We can be sure to find a lot of modems. The vendors always mention security in their marketing blurbs, in reality they don't give a crap. In Asia, when IBM installs a "Secure Storage System" or a database, they stuff a modem and to log-in the username is "service" and the password is "service" and when Cisco Gold Partners installs a router, they quite often set the username, password and enable password to the name of the client, the name of the vendor or the name of the location.
(I bet this is not only the case in this region of the world)
We usually scan 3000 phone numbers derived from phone numbers we found in marketing brochures, regional offices, branches, etc. It costs only a couple of hundred bucks to dial all these numbers. Last time we found 146 carriers, 50 were interesting. Our clients was shocked there was so many, they didn't even know about half of them as they have outsourced big chunks of their infrastructure. One of the listening device we compromised was used by most of the branches and ATM to dial or VPN back to the core banking system. From there, we also had full access to their internal network. They were using SNMP (Security Not My Problem) everywhere and we took control of every single Cisco
routers and switches we could find.

Wireless Security Survey, the IT Director actually complained about this one: "We don't use wireless!" -Just wait... We found a couple of rogue WiFi networks, one of them was used by an executive who bought a Wireless Access Point from a well known company, it was marketed as reliable and secure. One Centrino laptop was bridging one of the local LAN to a neighbour's wireless LAN. In both cases, no encryption, no VPN and default passwords. Again we were inside. We also did a bit of war driving: our client had asked a vendor to set-up a backup link between the Head-Office and the DRC and never checked how it had been implemented; the result was scary: ATM transactions and clearing in clear text, ...
"We don't use wireless, we should exclude this part from the scope!"

Social Engineering: we phone target individuals in critical business functions, IT people, security officers, the executives and their secretaries, HR, service providers, etc. We also deliver by courier or mail "free" USB thumb-drives, a bunch of CDROMs (labelled "payroll", "confidential", "proposal", "University Porn"); even when autorun isn't enabled there is always someone illiterate enough to execute our little trojan. Most of our new clients never implemented segregation in networks and duties, so one workstation or
laptop compromised and the whole pyramid falls.

Physical Pen test, this is also a very fun part... We go straight to the headquarters and do a walk in. We first go uninvited and follow someone in. As long we wear nice shoes, shirt and tie, no one is asking questions. Even after two bombings (the Marriot and the Australian Embassy, physical security in most buildings is still very poor. When it isn't the case we get invited for an job interview or pose as a journalist and request an interview. Again dropping a USB thumb-drive or CDROM in the lift can lead to interesting results. Once we have access to an office floor, we go straight to a conference room and ask someone if we can use the room for 20 minutes, if they have port security; we just squat
an empty workstation.

Internet Pen test, this can be completely useless because in most cases we have already targeted and compromised the people who maintain the online applications. We never do exhaustive scans, it isn't the purpose of the exercise. A pen test is more a role playing game. Also we try to be as stealthy as possible, we communicate heavily with our clients but we never tell them when we are going to perform an attack; and usually I prefer to have them in the middle of the night. We do a quick risk assessment, if there is a box we can compromise easily, we check if it can impact business continuity or not. If it does we propose our client to
demonstrate the exploit in their development  environment/sandbox.

Internal Pen test: in our report we link the internal pen test to the network compromises we executed in the other project activities. Our clients also like to know what can be done by a hacker, a corporate spy, a intern, a curious or rogue employee, a consultant or vendor with limited access to their infrastructure. During one of our last missions, from a neutral area, we successfully compromised our clients ATMs' source code, core banking and online banking applications source code in less than 3 hours. This could have been done from any of entry points (wireless, modem, social engineer/trojan, physical pen...)

Now I would not say that 0day attacks are useless. Most of the time, we would never need them but whenever we can use 0day we will (how much is CANVAS anyway?) It helps our client realise that even if they have good patch management, they still need a good ISMS, secure business processes, 24h monitoring, expert advise (from us) to minimize the impact of a compromise (hardening, segregation in networks and duties, risk assessment, technology watch, intelligence gathering, due diligence, etc.), training, conferences ( http://www.bellua.net - http://www.cansecwest.com - http://www.blackhat.com)...

Another advantage of 0day is to lock out all the lamers selling vulnerability scanning with nessus, ISS, etc. Most of these !@# are quick-fix product vendors disguised as consultants who give a false sense of security to the clients. They tell them to put 3 firewalls and a bunch of crap IDS to protect their data center while everything around it is still open or vuln. This is ridiculous... and what really piss me is that their product sales subsidise their consulting activities to compete with us on price. Cisco Channel Partners for example offers free
"Secure Infrastructure Design" to their prospects.

That's a long e-mail, I hope I didn't bore you. 'tis late, time to sleep.

Cheers,

Anthony Zboralski
--
Bellua Cyber Security Asia 2005 - http://www.bellua.com/bcs2005
21-22 March - The Workshops - 23-24 March - The Conference