Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: oracle on the traces of microsoft ?

From: "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr () watson org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:18:38 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Cesar wrote:

:Oracle can't be on the traces of MS, Oracle security
:people are a bunch of amateurs and clueless, they have
:a really long, long way to reach MS on security
:efforts (btw: im not a MS fan but i know both
:companies and how they handle security). Also Oracle
:patches are a pain in the ass to install and if you
:are successful on installing them then you have to
:pray so the engine continue working without problems.
:Man, Oracle is so buggy, it's incredible how easy is
:to own any Oracle app. We have reported hundred of
:bugs since more than year and most of them are
:unpatched!!!!!!. The bugs i'm talking about should
:have been fixed years ago but they are inherited from
:version 8 to 9 and from 9 to 10.... most of these bugs
:can be found by a simple half hour auditing.
:
:Cesar.

No joke.  I fully agree.  If you've ever spent time rev eng their math
related code (including date handling) you'd be afraid... not necesarily
form a security standpoint but from a reliability/accuracy standpoint.

:--- johnny cyberpunk <jcyberpunk () thc org> wrote:
:
:> it's seems that oracle is on the traces of microsoft
:> !
:>
:>
:http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1027052,00.html
:>
:>
:> and best is, that oracle said, that they asked
:> customers, what would be
:> their favorite update cycle.
:> most of the admins approved the every 3 months
:> strategy. sure, if i ask an
:> admin here in our
:> company, he'll also give them the same answer. if
:> oracle had asked the
:> security team, the answer
:> would be: release a patch asap, especially if the
:> bug is publically known.
:>
:> cheers,
:> johnny
:>
:> _______________________________________________
:> Dailydave mailing list
:> Dailydave () lists immunitysec com
:>
:https://lists.immunitysec.com/mailman/listinfo/dailydave
:>
:
:
:
:
:Do you Yahoo!?
:The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
:http://my.yahoo.com
:
:

--