Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Patent fun

From: "Mike Bailey" <mike.bailey () sunbladesecurity com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:48:36 -0400

I really should go back and read this entire thread but considering what I
have followed here are my questions and ramblings on the matter:

Would this hypothetical database store an abstract of the idea, possibly the
typical information found in patent applications as well as code snippets?
Would there be a small fee for each submission?

I assume the submitter would get a hash for what they submitted as well as a
key to allow them access to it for later inspection or revision.

It would be great for a legal person to chime in on what would actually make
it through litigation. I bet the court's version of obviousness and
originality routinely differ from what the submitters would generally
describe.  My concern is that Billy-the-coder submits an idea but leaves out
most of the legal detail or fails to articulate himself correctly. That
would simply chum the waters for an attorney from a company like, say,
Santa Cruz something, therefore he might loose rights to his original idea
by simply not understanding the legal requirements for it being contested in
court.