Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Why I love Spike..]

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:28:52 +0000

Dave Aitel wrote:
Hmm. I think maybe Cenzic has the right idea. Drop the whole arbitrary protocol, and focus on the HTTP thing. Maybe even drop a shim into a win32 process if you feel like it to detect CreateProcesA and fopen() style bugs. Simple stuff. But a lot of QA depts I work with are still cutting and pasting long strings into explorer windows to test for overflows. And they use all sorts of tools for automation of functionality testing, but if you priced it right, they'd use another tool for overflows and SQL injection. I think the problem is selling it sometimes - you really do want to have a large consulting arm that sells it, rather than a sales force. It would have done well at @stake. :>

HTTP is harder than it sounds. Besides having to do full on javascript, DOM, cookies, etc; that won't get you anywhere with flash UIs or captchas.

Believe me, I copied and pasted long strings quite a bit, which is why I thought Hailstorm was so useful at first. I wrote about it in a blog entry about my stumbling into security QA a few weeks ago:
http://wiki.yak.net/538

Hailstorm and tools like it are almost passable for simple web apps and simple protocols, if it weren't for the fault detection problem. API shims aren't really going to help you for SQL Injection and buffer overflows, which is what most people are testing for. You are right that it would work for detecting command injection, but then you're modifying the environment for the testing, which is a QA no-no (generally).

I'll avoid commenting about the quality levels necessary to deliver a real product that QA people themselves will use every day, nevermind take seriously in the first place. If the product crashes during your own rigged demo, chances are you aren't cutting the mustard.