Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Pentesters getting owned?

From: "Steve W. Manzuik" <steve () security-sensei com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:21:56 -0600

I've done a lot of pen-tests (not so many anymore) but I have always ran
keyloggers on my boxes to record everything I do.  Obviously a lot of
screenshots are taken and bash histories are kept so I am very careful to
remove any back doors left behind.  The clean up is always the worst and
hardest part though.  Lately I have noticed less and less clients wanting a
full pen-test and going more the route of a vuln assessment -- which

I remember a conversation Dave and I had in Tokyo about how Pen-tests are a
complete waste of money -- they are.  Not because there is no value in them
but because most companies do them at the wrong time.  I mean instead of
paying the huge rates people still get away with charging (that I wont
understand as they are WAY overvalued and I still do this as a business line
but for much cheaper than the rest) companies should be spending their money
building their security infrastructure or framework (whatever marketing
buzzword you want to use) and then have it tested.  Doing a Pen-Test before
this is done is stupid -- you might as well burn your money because I can
almost guarantee that if you haven't spent budget on building security you
will get owned with a pen-test.