Dailydave mailing list archives

This might not be the proper place but...

From: David Maynor <dave () 0dayspray com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 21:34:12 -0500

Why is it it seems that every c coder that runs into a problem or
something a bit hard they turn to system() to solve it? Everybody has
seen it, most people turn a blind eye like its their drunk uncle at a
christmas party.

"Just ignore him, it will be over soon."

If you are not aware of what I am talking about, let me explain. Its
starts off simple:
char buf[1024];
sprintf(buf, "cp %s %s.old; rm %s; touch %s", filename, filename,
filename, filename);

Thats not that bad. A slight feeling of dread maybe, but nothing that
bad. THEN IT HAPPENS:
popen(buf, "r"); OR system(buf); OR exec(buf);
I don't know about you folks but i start feeling sick. Not normal sick,
but like I had drank a bottle of jaeger and wake up with a MCSE sick. If
you don't want to use the language to do stuff, why not use another
language? This always seems to pop up in code that would be better
written in python or perl anyway.

I am not above admitting I am wrong about this. Opinions, comments,
suggestions for drinks that take away the pain of this sort of activity?
--
David Maynor
http://www.0dayspray.com/~dave