Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris telnet vulnberability - how many on your network?

From: greimer () fccc edu
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:55:24 -0500 (EST)

Let's taper off this thread.  It's getting downright boring.

Thanks,
Anthony Nemmer

We are kind of going around and around, but there's a couple of aspects to this that haven't even been talked about:

1) This seems like a case of "old code" somehow creeping back in to the current versions, and that's a phenomenon I've seen happen at a couple of different places that I've worked at over the years. It's kind of a special case of version control gone bad, and I'm interested in how that can happen and how to watch out for it.

1a) People have said that this bug was in old versions of SunOS/Solaris (and AIX I think) but nobody ever nailed down exactly when this was fixed, versionwise. In fact, did anybody reproduce this in anything other than Solaris 10? It'd be nice to know the last old version that has the bug, & the 1st that doesn't.

2) Does this have anything to do with the OpenSolaris effort? Like are people pulling in code from other sources?

Yours,

(George) Kurt Reimer
Fox Chase Cancer Center