Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Diebold Global Election Management System (GEMS) Backdoor Account Allows Authenticated Users to Modify Votes

From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs () roaringpenguin com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:50:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Marco S Hyman wrote:

 > The answer is not to try to show that open source can be used in
 > captialistic ventures, but rather to be very clear in stating that free
 > enterprise (and capitalism) has no place whatsoever at any time in the
 > creation, formation, and instatement of a government for the people.

Do expect to return to the age where voting is done with a pen and a
blank slip of paper,

Yes, indeed.  Works very well where I live (the paper isn't blank, though;
it's a pre-printed ballot.)

both supplied by the voter?

That's not necessary.  I trust the ballot and pen given to me by
Elections Canada.

All I demand from a voting system is that votes can be voter verified.

I demand that it can be voter-verified by any "average" voter.  That means
that anyone capable of voting must be capable of fully understanding and
verifying the voting system, which pretty much eliminates electronic
voting machines.

That's not true of ANY voting machine regardless of who writes the code
unless there is a hard copy audit trail.   If there is a hard copy audit
trail then it doesn't make any difference who wrote the code.

If you already have a hard copy audit trail, then why not *just* use the
hard-copy and dispense with electonic voting machines altogether?

--
David.