Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Motorola Cable Modem DOS

From: Chris Wilson <chris () qwirx com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:01:02 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Dan,

Software Version: SB3100-3.2.6-SCM-NOSHELL
Hardware Version: 2
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.3

I wasn't able to reproduce this on my SB3100 with version 3.2.9:

root@gcc(janitor)# lynx -source http://192.168.100.1/mainhelpdata.html |
head -69 | tail -5
Software Version: SB3100-3.2.9-SCM-NOSHELL<BR>
Hardware Version: 1<BR>
MIB Version: II<BR>
GUI Version: 1.0<BR>
VxWorks Version: 5.3<BR>

root@gcc(janitor)# nmap -sS -p 1-1024 192.168.100.1
Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA22 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on  (192.168.100.1):
(The 1022 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
80/tcp     open        http
513/tcp    open        login (* see below)

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 6 seconds

root@gcc(janitor)# lynx -source http://192.168.100.1/mainhelpdata.html |
head -65 | tail -1
Software Version: SB3100-3.2.9-SCM-NOSHELL<BR>

root@gcc(janitor)# ping www.google.com -c 1
PING www.google.com (216.239.37.101) from 80.4.125.123 : 56(84) bytes of
data.
64 bytes from www.google.com (216.239.37.101): icmp_seq=0 ttl=45
time=97.407 msec

Scanning the external (internet) IP address has no effect (this is the
first time I've heard of this).

Ditto for me.

* Why does this modem have port 513 open? I can connect to it, but haven't
yet succeeded in getting it to do anything useful, and I don't know what's
listening, but it worries me, particularly as it's open on the HFC side
too, which potentially exposes customers on the same network to each
other's modems. Indeed, I can connect to port 513 on 60 modems in the
same subnet as mine.

This might possibly be due to lack of filtering by the ISP, since my
test connections to those other modems were going via my default gateway.
Alternatively, perhaps I am deceived and all these connections are being
routed to a spy box somewhere, maybe in an attempt to prevent customers
from using rlogin =). Somehow, that idea scares me even more.

Cheers, Chris.
--