Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Loopback and multi-homed routing flaw in TCP/IP stack.

From: Neil W Rickert <rickert+bt () CS NIU EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:07:04 -0600

Woody <woody () THEBUNKER NET> wrote:

We believe there to be a serious security flaw in the TCP/IP stack of
several Unix-like operating systems. Whilst being "known" behavior on
technical mailing lists, we feel that the implications of this
"feature" are unexpected. Furthermore, not all platforms behave in the
same way, which will obviously lead to invalid expectations.

[detailed description snipped]

I am surprised to see this described as a flaw.  It is behavior I
have been relying on for some time.  Specifically, on my client
machines, I add a route to the alternate interface of my servers via
the direct interface of the same server.  This allows direct
connection to the server without relying on a router, regardless of
which IP address is used for the service.  For NFS clients, I
consider it important to be able to do this.

If there is a flaw, it is surely in the thinking of people who
mistakenly assumed that multi-homed systems would not behave so as to
allow this.

The original message states

At the moment, any machine which has either:

o       services running on the loopback interface

o       two or more external interfaces

must be configured, using a firewall, to drop IP packets arriving from
the wrong network in order to be secure. This is commonly not the
case.

This is surely an overstatement.  I expect that there are many
multi-homed servers which offer the same network services on each
interface.  There do not appear to be any security issues in such
cases.

 -NWR