Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Invalid WINS entries

From: Attonbitus Deus <Thor () HAMMEROFGOD COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:54:06 -0800

It doesn't work that way.  If you put a bogus BDC on the lan, the server
service won't even start unless its computer account is verified against the
dc based on the SID.  Same with putting a bogus PDC with the same domain
name...  A workstation won't even set up a secure channel in the first place
unless its account is verified which must happen before the
challenge/response take's place (insofar as NtLmSsp is concerned.)

Granted, you could screw with WINS a bit, but even then the IP stack will
fall back on broadcast to find a 'real' dc if you have properly configured
your node type to 0x8 (Hybrid).  If you are already on the LAN to the point
of doing all this stuff, just capture SMB packets over a few days---

Attonbitus Deus
Thor () HammerofGod Com