Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HP Security vulnerability in the man command

From: deraadt () CVS OPENBSD ORG (Theo de Raadt)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:48:31 -0600

0) HP *still* insists on NOT setting the sticky bit on world-writeable
temporary directories (/tmp and /var/tmp) on default installs of HPUX.

If this is the case, then any temporary file which gets reopened is
not safe.  A *lot* of software does reopening by name.

During the OpenBSD security audit, when we started dealing with /tmp
issues, I would roughly estimate that about 30% of the 800+ issues we
found in our source tree used filename reopening.  Like mail, yacc,
ed, sed, lex, ...

In particular, the entire compiler suite.  Without setting foot on a
HPUX machine (and instead using an x86 for a foot pedestal) I would
bet that the cc -> cpp -> cc1 -> as -> ld toolchain uses filename
parameter passing; if HPUX still ships without the +t bit set on /tmp,
it should be fairly easy for any user to become another (active) user.

I believe l0pht even has a tool to watch /tmp for such things.