Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: An Analysis of the TACACS+ Protocol and its Implementations

From: ecentric () BELLSOUTH NET (Eccentric)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:58:30 -0400

A simple but potentially devastating situation I have found while using the
Cisco Secure ACS software and Cisco's TACACS+ (or RADIUS) implementation is
in the AAA log files. The log files are stored on the ACS server in plain
text. The log files contain session information including failed attempts.
The TACACS ACS authentication server will record plain text usernames and
encrypted passwords in the log files. The problem is during connection
latency, occasionally, the username does not get recorded and in its place
is the password in plain text. The Dial out client is also essentially a
telnet session and we know that it is sniffer vulnerable. There is a latency
authentication error problem I contacted Cisco about concerning the Dial out
client for NT a year ago. The only way to protect the stored log files is
with proper file permissions. If read permissions are available then you are
compromised. If you have a promiscuous sniffing  user then the telnet
sessions to the router is a goner as well. Your intruder only has to wait
for an ACS TACACS+ (or RADIUS) administrator to get enabled or just the
average user account to get a free ride.

This is an inside threat unless your intruder is sniffing the gateway.