Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: JS problem in NS4.5 - known?

From: crispin () CSE OGI EDU (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 02:14:08 +0000

Nick Phillips wrote:

Interestingly enough, when I just read Edwin Gonzalez' message (re: JS
and Hotmail) in
Messenger 4.5 (the most recent available version under Debian "slink"),
I got a
Javascript alert box appear.

This despite the fact that according to my preferences, javascript is
turned off for
Mail & News. I've tested it again with javascript allegedly entirely
disabled, and it
still pops up the alert.

This is a known problem with Netscape 4.5:  the "disable javascript"
button didn't really work.  If you ever enabled javascript, it could never
be disabled through the GUI.

To really disable javascript, you had to go to an older Netscape, disable
javascript, and then copy the preferencs.js file into your NS 4.5
~/.netscape directory.  Or you could manually edit
~/.netscape/preferences.js.

Upgrading to a later version of Netscape fixed this problem.  I don't
recall which version fixed the problem, but 4.7 certainly does not have
this problem.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com