Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Melissa Macro Virus

From: Sonja.Rodefeld () DOWJONES COM (Rodefeld, Sonja)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:18:21 -0500

From my research on Melissa, in a nutshell,  (although not totally
exhaustive by any  means and please correct me if I am wrong), Melissa
infects normal.dot with the macro.  The macro also disables the ability to
view that the virus macro is present in the .dot file.  Once normal.dot is
infected by the original virus document (by whatever name - list.doc,
iminfected.doc), and a new document is CREATED using that template (not
OPENED) is now infected.  And once this "new" document is opened by an
"outlook" person the whole thing starts all over with the new document being
sent out...  If a document is OPENED and was created using an uninfected
"normal.dot" than it is "OK". I have seen instances where list.doc started
it and then it changed over to send out other documents.

The only problem I see with making normal.dot to read-only is that in many
cases users DO need to make changes to the norml.dot.  So it then becomes a
functionality issue which must be balanced against security.  I have in the
past made changes to normal.dot because of repetitiveness in my ocuments
(headings, footers, etc..). But I could also work around this by creating a
completely new template under a different name) to work off of and thus
never have to change the normal.dot template.