Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Linux /usr/bin/lpc overflow

From: slk () NTRNET NET (Simon Karpen)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:29:42 -0500

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Denis Bucher wrote:
xnec () INFERNO TUSCULUM EDU a écrit :

There is a local root comprimise hole in PLP Line Printer Control program,
version 4.0.3, which is SuSE 5.2's /usr/bin/lpc.  Most other unices use a
different version of lpc (including SuSE 5.1).

Under an installation of SuSE 5.1, I found lpc 4.0.3 !
Therefore I think 5.1 is not safe !

SuSE 5.3 and 6.0 appear not to suffer from this problem.

Under 5.3:
scan:/home/skarpen # rpm -qf /usr/sbin/lpc
lprold-3.0.1-14
scan:/home/skarpen # /usr/sbin/lpc
lpc>

Under 6.0:
root@grendel:~ > rpm -qf /usr/sbin/lpc
lprold-3.0.1-37
root@grendel:~ > /usr/sbin/lpc
lpc>

Also, note that SuSE can install one of: PLP, 'classic' LPD, or LPRng.
AFAIK the default os the 'classic' Berkeley LPD. (recent security-fixed
version though)

--Simon

--
Simon Karpen                    slk () ntrnet net
#include <std_disclaimer.h>     My opinions are my own.