Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More oshare testing.

From: nino () INFORM DK (nino)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:35:40 +0000

"C.J. Oster" wrote:

While testing the oshare attack a little more, I have found something that
you may find interresting.  Here at the university, many people are
running the same installation of windows, ie off of the same cd, same
patches, etc.  The differences in behavior seem to be due to the type of
network card installed in the machine.  Here is a VERY small list.

win95 is broken and bluescreens all the time.

win98 with the following network cards...

LinkSys ISA (ne2000 chipset):   Spontaneous Reboot.
LinkSys PCI (ne2000):           Blue Screen
3c509 (ISA):                    Blue Screen
3c590 (PCI):                    Some Blue Screens, others Hang
3c905 (PCI):                    Hangs until packets stop comming, then
                                complete wakup.
snip...snip

I found the same thing, under different installations:

3c509 ISA Blue Screen
NE2000 ISA spontaneous reboot