Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: mouse () RODENTS MONTREAL QC CA (der Mouse)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:13:14 -0500

on linux /dev/kmem is +w for gid kmem, on bsd too (probably, I didn't
checked that),

On what grounds do you think this is probable?  Certainly the modern
BSDs don't have this particular bug (someone already said FreeBSD
didn't, and I can say with fair assurance NetBSD doesn't - certainly
*my* NetBSD boxes don't, and I'm sure I didn't touch that particular
setting.  Given its genesis, OpenBSD probably not only is safe now but
has been as long as it's existed.)

I *think* this may even have been fixed back in the 4.3 days, but I
can't recall for sure; that was too long ago.

                                        der Mouse

                               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca