Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: jsb4ch () HOTMAIL COM (johann sebastian bach)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:33:51 PST

if you are an advocate of computer security, it makes logical sense to
notify the vendor of the program before you notify a sea of potential
exploiters, *regardless* of whether or not the potential exploiters know
of the problem (why blindly assume that they do?).

from the point of view of advocates of computer security, full
disclosure shouldnt be regarded as some sort of golden truth, rather, as
a tool to learn from mistakes made in the past.  in accordance, vendors
should be allowed to patch a bug before its existance and exploit code
is plastered all over internet mailing lists (sure, small circles of
hackers may have been exploiting this bug for years, but a small circle
of hackers is a far different problem than the sea of script kiddies who
dont even know how to use unix, but will then have access to the
exploit).

exploit code should not spawn a shell and give full access to the
machine. if exploit coders would only release exploits that write(1,
"hello world".. the root compromises out there would drop by 99%
guaranteed.  exploit code should be an EXAMPLE to prove that a bug is
exploitable, not an instant ticket to root access on thousands of hosts
for people who barely know how to use a computer.

i could care less about computer security aside from the fact that i
would like access to as many hosts as possible.  i make these points
because many so-called hackers out there think they're fighting for some
golden cause by releasing potent exploit code, or mailing stupid
advisories to bugtraq to claim their fame before even notifying the
coders of the application in question.