Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Another Windows98 Bug...

From: blyon () NETPR COM (Barrett G. Lyon)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:37:56 -0600

At 07:26 PM 2/12/99 +0100, you wrote:
Scott schrieb:

I'm not sure about the details of this problem, but when testing
another buffer overflow, I created a long filename called
"testfile.txt
"
(note the chr(160)'s at the end) It is 235 characters in length.
After creating it on my desktop, I right clicked on it; explorer
crashed saying it caused an illegal operation.  the only way I found
to close this was by using command.com  I sent this to a friend and
he got the same error.

Try sending a file with the oversied name attached in an email to.. say..
eudora pro or something.  Watch what happens (I would backup eudora mail
before you do it).

-Barrett

--
Barrett G. Lyon                        PGP: www.netpr.com/pgpkeys
Data & Network Security Consultant     Fax: 310-737-0196