Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Another Windows98 Bug...

From: flo () POWERONLINE NET (Florian Henke)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:26:14 +0100

Scott schrieb:

I'm not sure about the details of this problem, but when testing
another buffer overflow, I created a long filename called
"testfile.txt
"
(note the chr(160)'s at the end) It is 235 characters in length.
After creating it on my desktop, I right clicked on it; explorer
crashed saying it caused an illegal operation.  the only way I found
to close this was by using command.com  I sent this to a friend and
he got the same error.

        -Scott Campbell (smc () visuallink com)

I have tried to cause the same error, running a german version of
win98 and did not have any problems, neither on the specific Filelenth
nor on longer filenames.

        Florian Henke
        f.henke () gmx de
        webmaster () feg hh schule de