Bugtraq mailing list archives

NT Stream creation through ftp

From: Bertrand.Velle () APOGEE-COM FR (Bertrand VELLE)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:08:06 +0200

Hello,

While trying to download the 'old' CERT advisories from my NT workstation,
I've discovered that the command line ftp NT client deals with the ':'
characters embedded in the file names. To test this, try to download some
files from the ftp.cert.org pub/cert_advisories and have a look to your
directory.

You'll find something like:

  Name     Size
  CA-89 0
  CA-90 0
  CA-91 0

Then using the streamfind utility (www.march.co.uk) you could verify that
all downloaded files have been stored as alternate streams.

  CA-89 Alternate stream:       01.passwd.hole
                Alternate stream:       02.sun.restore.hole
                and so on ....

This is due to the fact that the used file naming convention
(CA-XX:YY.zzzzz) contains the infamous ':' character which is interpreted
here as a stream delimiter ....

--
Bertrand VELLE          Security Consultant
velle () apogee-com fr     APOGEE Communications     ORSAY, FRANCE