Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Urgent !! Serious Linux Security Bug....

From: vsv () logicnet ro (Stefanita Valeriu Vilcu)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:18:25 +0200

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Henrik P Johnson wrote:

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Jason T. Luttgens wrote:

        Today we saw an email from Linus Torvalds advising of a problem
with Linux and ping.  Basically you can reboot a linux box remotely if
some scenario's are right.  From what we can tell and this has all been
verified is: If anyone in the world with a Windows 95 machine can ping
your
Linux box they can potentially reboot that machine.. Hence a serious
denial of service OR loss of data.

This also works on HPUX 10.1, when I tried it I got a system panic and the
machine hang and didn't reboot.

It does not work on DG/UX 5.4.  These machines are insensible at this kind
of packets and drop them (the NT 4.0 ping reports "Request timed out" at
big packets, but it works with lower size ones).

Best Regards,

Stefanita Vilcu
---
Network Administrator, Logic Telecom S.A., Romania
E-mail: vsv () logicnet ro, phone: +40-1-3213635, fax: +40-1-3213730