Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Urgent !! Serious Linux Security Bug....

From: dpswkdb () albertsons com (Keith Bower)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:44:37 -0600

your.AIX.host from an NT or WIN95 workstation.

I investigated this problem with IBM, and experimented with my machines here.

The AIX 4.1.4 release is susceptible and 3.2.5 is not.  IBM was aware of the
problem with large packets, and a PTF for bos.tcp.client.4.1.4.18 is
available.  The latest APAR number for TCP and security fixes is U445555.
Apply this fix and vulnerability goes away.

The "-l" option in AIX is for sending multiple pings as fast as possible.
The crash problem does *NOT* manifest itself when using AIX's ping.  The "-l"
on NT ( and I assume WIN95 ) establishes the size of the packet to send.  An
NT ping did crash my AIX 4.1.4 test box, with no PTF/APARs applied.

You can use IBM's fix-dist to download PTFs/APARs or contact IBM for the fix.

Keith Bower
(I speak for myself - not for my employer, yada yada yada)
respond to: Keith_Bower () albertsons com