Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BoS: Urgent !! Serious Linux Security Bug....

From: oxymoron () waste org (Oliver Xymoron)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:38:44 -0500

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Jared Mauch wrote:

Hopefully this problem is not as widespread as other bugs (Such as
syslog, etc).

I tested this against a Linux box and had an Ascend P50 router that was
sitting on the network spontaneously reboot. I wasn't watching the Ascend
and I didn't try to repeat it, but I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few
routers were adversely affected. This is both good and bad. Good because
bad pings may have a hard time propagating out of their local nets and
reaching targetted sites.